This is a quick list, in no particular order, of predictions I have for IT related technology headlines in 2012:
1. A startup will nail indoor geolocation and the z-index problem.
2. There will be a host of innovations in machine vision and camera technologies.
3. We will see start-ups develop niche and consumer facing semantic search engines and intelligent agents that actually work.
4. Natural language and voice will play a much bigger role in user interfaces.
5. Facebook will become a container for HTML5 mobile apps and will release a toolkit similar to Phonegap.
6. The trend of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) will only grow and VMWare Horizon Mobile Solution will be a big hit in the enterprise.
7. An established company will provide a very compelling concept demo for camera based biometric payment systems on mobile devices.
8. There will be speed breakthroughs for memristive system based storage.
9. There will be breakthroughs in the mass production of Graphene.
10. A slew of grass-roots early adopters will jump on the TV whitespace and spectrum reallocation opportunity.